Cheddar Scones (Grain-free)
Updated: Sep 5, 2021
You can easily cut this recipe in half. But, trust me, you'll definitely want all 17.
4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups finely ground blanched almond flour
3/4 cups arrowroot flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt (Diamond Crystal)
2 large eggs
1/4 cup full-fat, plain, unsweetened yogurt (I use sheep’s milk yogurt)
2 Tablespoons honey
3 oz extra-sharp, aged cheddar cheese, grated (1 cup)
1 Tablespoon minced chives or scallions
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
2. Cut the butter into small cubes (about ½ inch), place in a small bowl, and transfer to the freezer until ready to use.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the eggs, yogurt, and honey and whisk to combine. Set aside in the fridge to keep cold while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder and salt, being careful to break up any larger clumps.
5. Add the frozen butter to the flours, and rub the flour and butter together between your fingertips, breaking up the butter into smaller pieces, and combining it with the flour. Continue to work the flour and butter together until the mixture is crumbly. Alternatively, you can use a pastry cutter.
6. Add the chilled egg mixture to the flour, and stir until just combined. Then, stir in the grated cheese and minced chives.
7. Using a 4 oz ice cream scoop, or a ¼ cup measuring cup, scoop heaping servings of the dough and place on the prepared baking sheets, leaving an inch or two between the scones (they wont spread much).
8. Transfer the scones to the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
9. Bake the scones for 25 minutes. Allow them to cool slightly before serving.